Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
hood latch cable on a ef broke. any ideas?
10-30-2011, 12:00 PM
hood latch cable on a ef broke. any ideas?
so the metal ball on the hood latch cable came out of the latch mechanism and now my hood wont open. what the hell do i do beside cut a hole in it????? 91 civic si
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-31-2011, 11:31 PM
RE: hood latch cable on a ef broke. any ideas?
Are you able to reach up from under the engine and pop the latch? If may help to have someone press on the hood (to take the stress off of the latch).
10-31-2011, 11:32 PM
Did a bit of research and found this:

Remove enough of the inner fender liner clips to access as gearbox mentioned, then loosen the top of the radiator and top of the condenser (if you have a/c) and unbolt the latch. This is done so you can move them back enough to sneak a hand into the opening and feed in the new cable (once the clips are released from the top of the radiator support). Just be mindful of where the old one routed.
11-02-2011, 10:09 AM
(10-31-2011 11:32 PM)LeadFoot Wrote:  Did a bit of research and found this:

Remove enough of the inner fender liner clips to access as gearbox mentioned, then loosen the top of the radiator and top of the condenser (if you have a/c) and unbolt the latch. This is done so you can move them back enough to sneak a hand into the opening and feed in the new cable (once the clips are released from the top of the radiator support). Just be mindful of where the old one routed.

thanks for the tip. im gonna try that asap i will let you know if it works. worst part is i just did an engine swap and i am leaking oil out the valve cover and coolant out of one of those stupid fancy looking slip clamps on my upper rad hose. short matter of time before this becomes a huge problem.........
11-03-2011, 05:52 PM
sweet. got my hood open. ended up using a grinder to cut off my bumper valance then reached my finger in to pop the latch. any one know where to get a new valance?
07-13-2013, 03:53 AM
Man that really blows you had to start cutting stuff. Did you even try going at it from behind?