Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How does Vtec work?
05-13-2011, 08:08 AM
How does Vtec work?
Just a random question that hits my mind. What is Vtec and how does it work. I mean what gives it an upper edge on efi engines?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-13-2011, 08:09 AM
RE: How does Vtec work?
EFI engine technology is becoming obsolete rapidly. Now that hybrids are queued up. That question you should ask to some engineer, it's bad technical stuff!
11-02-2011, 03:04 PM (This post was last modified: 11-02-2011 03:06 PM by clark.)
RE: How does Vtec work?
(05-13-2011 08:08 AM)carfreak Wrote:  Just a random question that hits my mind. What is Vtec and how does it work. I mean what gives it an upper edge on efi engines?

vtec is nothing more than a "sliding" cam, actuated by a solenoid, with two sets of lobes. one set of cam lobes is larger than the other allowing more air flow through the cylinder head. the switching of the cam position is due to a multitude of factors all realevent to the engines current load and rpm's. with that information, the ecu tells the cam solenoid which set of lubes will work best for the demands of the engine. i hope that covers it.
(11-02-2011 03:04 PM)clark Wrote:  
(05-13-2011 08:08 AM)carfreak Wrote:  Just a random question that hits my mind. What is Vtec and how does it work. I mean what gives it an upper edge on efi engines?

vtec is nothing more than a "sliding" cam, actuated by a solenoid, with two sets of lobes. one set of cam lobes is larger than the other allowing more air flow through the cylinder head. the switching of the cam position is due to a multitude of factors all realevent to the engines current load and rpm's. with that information, the ecu tells the cam solenoid which set of lubes will work best for the demands of the engine. i hope that covers it.
You can achieve the same results on a non-vtec engine by installing a larger cam. the down fall is a rougher idle depending on how much larger of a cam you use.